Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Image Rationale - Consumerism

I have chosen to explore this topic because not only do I find the Consumerist theories interesting, but this is one of the biggest issues of today's society, and I feel that it is a relevant and interesting theme to explore at this particular moment in time because of this. 
We believe that through consumption we can achieve a sense of happiness that we are always longing for, substituting the real thing for material possessions we do not require. Every day, people are purchasing extortionately priced items, as shopping gives us a sense of joy, and therefore we believe that by buying these expensive products we are happy. However this is just an illusion formed by those in charge of advertising and selling. We are constantly told through hidden marketing techniques that we not only desire these items, but that we need them. 
Like the qualities of a magpie, people are attracted to shiny jewels, expensive technology, mobile phones, anything with a large price tag. And so this is what I decided to focus this particular image on, showing how extortionately expensive material possessions have grown to become.

A quote from the lecture that I thought was interesting and relevant for my photographic piece was an un-named and undated one - 'You are not what you own'

I found a jewellery shop in Leeds which sells incredibly expensive items, and thought that this would be an interesting subject to photograph due to the small nature of the shop and the incredibly high end products they were selling. Showing that it is not only designer stores that sell these items, but even just small high street shops as well. 

Here is the final image:


No comments:

Post a Comment